February 25, 2014 § Leave a comment
Issue 08 is now available to download at www.invisiblecity.org. Cover by Ioana Cîrlig.
Featuring work by Nine Eglantine Yamamoto-Masson, Shaun Fraser, Ioana Cîrlig, Gal Amiram, Justin Tyler Tate, Todd Anderson Kunert, Jolene Mok, Kara J Schmidt, Olivier Scher, Tim Van Der Meer, prOphecy sun, Ben McGee, Lilian Kreutzberger, Alexa Black, Ryan Hogan, Jon Henry, Christine Mackey, Yuula Benivolski, Leah DeVun and Ann Deslandes.
February 10, 2014 § Leave a comment
This is me with 3am feelings and intense dreams about the life and desires of a 19 year old horse rider living in the 1940s Lithuanian tablelands.
I want to be there, on a spit between sea and tidelands. The dream also saw me pushing a chair and trying to thread a burnt out lightbulb. The cliffs of the tablelands were dark rock cascading to the sea. In one part I saw the men in a game of horse-riding, maybe polo, played on the smooth flat grass. I saw a map, an atlas opened with the long lines of cliffs skirting around the very tops of the earth. The 19 year old should not have been riding, she was a woman. You could tell though by the dirt on her leather boots… scuffed slightly. I was changing the light in the hallway of a university.
I have been feeling down lately and I am not sure why. My show opens 21 May and I am speaking to the two lovely artists who will write some words for a catalogue. Trying to tease out of myself a lot of answers. I will be in Iceland in November I know that. What else I know.
December 17, 2013 § Leave a comment
I wrote this article for the Sydney Morning Herald’s Daily Life section; Growing up with a bipolar parent.
November 17, 2013 § Leave a comment
Jessica Tremp || Nora Wendl & Jeremy Hanson || Lidia Malynowskyj || Léa Donnan || Alex Hogan || Marianne Dages || Lee Salomone || Philippe Braquenier || Margaret Bowes || Philip Samartzis || Sarah Burwash || Andrew Ranville || Rashanna Rashied-Walker || Melody Woodnutt & Judy Thomas || Justin Apperley || Stephen John Ellis || Katelyn Clark || Yongjae Kim
Cover image by Sarah Burwash
Download the issue at http://invisiblecity.org
INVISIBLE CITY is an online magazine dedicated to showcasing contemporary visual art, sound and film by emerging artists from Australia and around the world. Issues are themed (sometimes).
August 15, 2013 § Leave a comment
INVISIBLE CITY | www.invisiblecity.org
Submissions are now open for Issue 07 REMOTE
>> Islands, desert, mountains, isolation, loneliness, resourcefulness, space, lack of communication, new community, being lost, finding things, independence, scare resources, light and weather, trust.
Submissions close 10 September 2013.
June 8, 2013 § Leave a comment
1. I’m lonely so I do lonely things.
2. Loving you was like going to war, I never came back the same.
3. You hate women, just like your father and his father, so it runs in your blood.
4. I was wandering the derelict car park of your heart looking for a ride home.
5. You’re a ghost town I’m too patriotic to leave.
6. I stay because you’re the beginning of the dream I want to remember.
7. I didn’t call him back because he likes his girls voiceless.
8. It’s not that he’s wants to be a liar, it’s just that he doesn’t know the truth.
9. I couldn’t love you, you were a small war.
10. We covered the smell of loss with jokes.
11. I didn’t want to fail at love like our parents.
12. You made the nomad in me build a house and stay.
13. I’m not a dog.
14. We were trying to prove our blood wrong.
15. I was still lonely so I did even lonelier things.
16. Yes, I’m insecure, but so was my mother and her mother.
17. No, he loves me he just makes me cry a lot.
18. He knows all of my secrets and still wants to kiss me.
19. You were too cruel to love for a long time.
20. It just didn’t work out.
21. My dad walked out one afternoon and never came back.
22. I can’t sleep because I can still taste him in my mouth.
23. I cut him out at the root , he was my favourite tree, rotting, threatening the foundations of my home.
24. The women in my family die waiting.
25. Because I didn’t want to die waiting for you.
26. I had to leave, I felt lonely when he held me.
27. You’re the song I rewind until I know all the words and I feel sick.
28. He sent me a text that said ‘I love you so bad’
29. His heart wasn’t as beautiful as his smile.
30. We emotionally manipulated one another until we thought it was love.
31. Forgive me, I was lonely so I chose you.
32. I’m a lover without a lover
33. I’m lovely and lonely.
34. I belong deeply to myself.
By Warsan Shire
– I feel a lot of these, some do not resonate for me, but I understand the source of their keenness. I am finding it hard to sleep tonight because I do not want to be alone with my thoughts. Unless they are of art and happiness. I suppose in time.